Luton's Heritage, Luton received its name from its location that is near the River Lea and quite close to the Roman Icknield way. The town received its first recognition when it was mentioned in the Domesday survey in 1086 as a well-established town, housing 700 people. Despite the historical phases of Luton, the heritage of this town depicts somewhat similar events that go back all the way to the Neolithic period.
History of Luton's Heritage
Luton's heritage mostly consists of ancient buildings, historical sites, and monuments in every century of the history. The first recorded monument of history was reported to have situated in the north of the Luton Borough that dates back to the Neolithic Period around circa.2000 to 2500 BC. The monuments at Dray Ditches dates back to the Bronze and Iron age times. Interestingly, both of these historic sites are directly linked to the Icknield Way near the River Lea.
Luton's Heritage in the 14th Century
The 14th century in Luton is famously recognised by St Mary's Parish Church which was built in the mentioned century. However, the historians have recorded worshipping sightings at this church which are 1,000-year-old. St Mary is one the religious places in Luton that have captivated every generation throughout history. The church was honoured to be the largest and biggest Parish churches in Bedfordshire and England in the 14th century.
Luton's Heritage in the 19th Century
Luton started its first industrial phase in the early years of the 19th century when it introduced the world to the first hat industry in 1826. After this inauguration, Luton becomes a primary spot for having factories and industries which led the town's industrialisation to a whole new level of prosperity. Due to this, Luton attracted every local from neighbouring towns and villages. Sadly, these factories, warehouses, and industries today are found to be as loft-style apartments. Luton's hat industry became its heart, and everyone in the UK started wearing the fancy hats from celebrities to government officials.
Luton's Heritage in the 20th Century
Luton was exponentially progressing towards prosperity at a very high economic rate. The Wardown Park was purchased in 1904 by Cllr Hucklesby who at the time was the mayor of Luton. Wardown Park also served as a Military hospital in World War II. In 1938, Luton launched its first commercial airport to meet the world by air. In 1972, Luton's opened its first largest undercover shopping centre in Europe named as Arndale